- 1 What is the best way to build a mousetrap car for distance?
- 2 What do you need to build a mousetrap car?
- 3 How do you make a fast mousetrap car?
- 4 What makes a mousetrap car move?
- 5 What is the fastest mousetrap car?
- 6 What is the key to a quick start in a mousetrap car?
- 7 Can mice get in car?
- 8 How do mousetrap cars reduce friction?
- 9 How do you make a mousetrap car go backwards?
- 10 What kind of string is best for a mousetrap car?
- 11 What is an axle hook?
- 12 How do you stop a mousetrap car?
- 13 Where should I place the mousetrap for the best performance?
- 14 What forces act on a mousetrap car?
- 15 What happens if the mousetrap is mounted too far from the drive axle?
What is the best way to build a mousetrap car for distance?
Use large rear wheels.
In practice, this means that once they start rolling, they’re harder to stop rolling. This makes large wheels perfect for distance-based contests — theoretically, they’ll accelerate less quickly than smaller wheels, but they’ll roll much longer and they’ll travel a greater distance overall.
What do you need to build a mousetrap car?
What You Need:
- Wooden snap-back mousetrap.
- Duct tape.
- 4 eye hooks.
- Wooden dowel that fits inside the eye hooks.
- Heavy cardboard.
- Large and small rubber bands.
- Foam board (usually found at a craft store)
How do you make a fast mousetrap car?
Making The Vehicle Faster
- Thicken the axle: Wrapping some tape radially around the axle or adding a spool. It may be surprising as to how much faster this makes the vehicle.
- Use smaller wheels. They will require less force to complete a rotation.
- Make the vehicle lighter.
What makes a mousetrap car move?
The mousetrap storespotential energyin the form of the spring. That potential energy is converted into kinetic energy in the form of the arm rotating forward. The arm pulls on the wound-up string, which turns the drive wheel dowel, which is connected to the wheels, which makes the car drive forward.
What is the fastest mousetrap car?
Description: The Speed-Trap Racer is the fastest mousetrap powered racer anywhere and was designed after Doc Fizzix’s own record-setting mousetrap racer that traveled 5 meters in 1.2 seconds.
What is the key to a quick start in a mousetrap car?
Lever Arm Basics
Shortening the length of the lever arm increases the pulling force but decrease the amount of string that can be pulled from the drive axle. Understanding this basic concept is the key to building a successful mousetrap powered vehicle.
Can mice get in car?
How Do Mice Get in Cars? Due to the small size of mice, it’s easy for them to squeeze through openings smaller than a dime. In most cases, they’ll crawl up from under the engine and make their way to other areas once inside.
How do mousetrap cars reduce friction?
Use a small axle to reduce friction. A large diameter axle will contact the bearing farther away from the center of the axle than a small diameter axle will. The farther from the center a force is, the more effect it has.
How do you make a mousetrap car go backwards?
To make a reversing mousetrap car go forward and then come back you will need to know how to “back-wind” the string. Back-winding the string it a technique where you first wind the string around the axle in one direction and then rewind the string in the opposite direction.
What kind of string is best for a mousetrap car?
The string has to be strong enough to handle the pulling force but flexible and thin enough to wind tightly around the drive axle. We recommend using a Kevlar based fishing line because its high strength. You should stay away from nylon fishing line and dental floss, these do not work well with mousetrap racers.
What is an axle hook?
An important part of a mousetrap vehicles propulsion system is the axle hook. If the string does not properly release from the drive axle the string will rewind around the drive axle and cause the mousetrap car to come to an instant stop.
How do you stop a mousetrap car?
Adding Traction to Wheel
Adding traction to a wheel will give the wheel more grip and greater stopping potential. One way to increase the traction of a wheel on smooth surface is to add a rubber traction tread that has more grip than the original wheel alone.
Where should I place the mousetrap for the best performance?
For optimal performance the mouse trap should be positioned on the chassis so that the tip of the lever arm falls directly above the drive axle when the mouse trap is in the fully wound position (as pictured bellow). If the mouse trap is not aligned properly with the drive axle energy will be wasted off the start.
What forces act on a mousetrap car?
Friction is a force that acts against the motion of all moving objects. Energy is required to overcome friction and keep an object moving. Mousetrap cars start with a limited supply of energy. This energy is used to overcome friction and propel the vehicle.
What happens if the mousetrap is mounted too far from the drive axle?
What happens if the mousetrap is mounted too far from the drive axle? You will lose pulling force or energy to friction. The energy goes too quickly and you lose pulling force.