- 1 What size cylinder do I need for a log splitter?
- 2 How much does it cost to build a log splitter?
- 3 Do you need a license plate for a log splitter?
- 4 How powerful of a log splitter do I need?
- 5 Are electric log splitters any good?
- 6 How do I calculate my log splitter tonnage?
- 7 How does a log splitter work?
- 8 How do you calculate the force of a hydraulic cylinder?
- 9 Do log splitters go on sale?
- 10 How much is a used log splitter worth?
- 11 How much does it cost to rent a log splitter for a day?
- 12 Is it legal to tow a log splitter?
- 13 Can you pull a wood splitter on the road?
- 14 Does a tow dolly need a license plate in Washington state?
What size cylinder do I need for a log splitter?
Choose a cylinder size that will work best with your pump and engine strength. Most people choose a size that allows for a 20 to 30 second overall cycle that allows for enough time to load a log and remove split wood without having to wait. A 24 inch, 4 inch diameter cylinder is a popular choice.
How much does it cost to build a log splitter?
Log splitters, on average, cost about $1,000. The smaller manual log splitters can cost as little as $70 and up to $200 for the manual hydraulic splitters.
Do you need a license plate for a log splitter?
You do NOT need to plate it. Same as a log splitter, concrete pumps, welders, farm implements ect
How powerful of a log splitter do I need?
The thicker a log is, the more wood there is to force apart on either side of the grain. Logs that are larger in diameter need more pressure to split. That’s why a 4-ton log splitter will work well for 6″ branches, but a 24″ tree trunk will require at least the force of a 20-ton splitter.
Are electric log splitters any good?
Are electric log splitters any good? Yes. Electric log splitters are popular with both professional foresters as well as homeowners who burn wood for the winter. If you purchase the right type, they can be very convenient and efficient to use.
How do I calculate my log splitter tonnage?
With a little simple geometry you can calculate a cylinder’s force in pounds or tons. The pound force is the product of the fluid pressure in psi multiplied by the cross-sectional area of the piston. To get the hydraulic cylinder tonnage, divide the pound force by 2,000.
How does a log splitter work?
In a typical log splitter, the operator places a log on the splitter, then shifts a directional valve to route fluid from the pump to the cap end of the hydraulic cylinder. The smaller pump moves the piston rod at lower speed, but can achieve higher pressure to push the wedge into the log and split it.
How do you calculate the force of a hydraulic cylinder?
Calculate the cylinder tonnage by multiplying the cross sectional area as calculated above by the pressure capacity of the hydraulic pump, as listed in the pump specifications. For example, using the example cylinder above and a 1,000 psi pump, multiplying 19.625 by 1,000 gives you 19,625 pounds of force.
Do log splitters go on sale?
Sadly log splitters don’t go on sale as much as other items. I believe this to be, because they’re a specialty items in a lot of areas. So the best way to find the best deals is to keep an eye out on local dealers and online.
How much is a used log splitter worth?
Local demand,brand of unit, condition, etc. But in my experience, most good woodsplitters hold their value fairly well if they are taken care of. Nothing unusual to see a $1500 splitter going for a $1000 used.
How much does it cost to rent a log splitter for a day?
Prices vary according to the chosen period, as follows: those who need a log splitter for four hours will have to pay $45, those who want one for the entire day will pay $60, and those who would benefit from a splitter throughout the entire weekend will end up paying $90.
Is it legal to tow a log splitter?
Most regions allow this type of tool to be towed over public roads. But it is always advised to check all federal, state and local vehicle laws and requirements prior to towing a log splitter on any public road.
Can you pull a wood splitter on the road?
Log splitters should not be pulled on highways. The majority of the commercially built log splitters are not designed to be pulled at speeds above 5 to 35 mph. At the same time, some higher-end or home-built log splitters can be towed at a higher speed up to 70 mph.
Does a tow dolly need a license plate in Washington state?
(6) The following vehicles, whether operated solo or in combination, are exempt from license registration and displaying license plates as required by this chapter: The front or rear wheels of the towed vehicle are secured to and rest on the tow dolly that is attached to the towing vehicle by a tow bar.