- 1 What is the cheapest way to build a deck?
- 2 Can I build a deck directly on the ground?
- 3 How much does it cost to build a platform deck?
- 4 How much does a 12×12 deck cost?
- 5 How much does a 14×20 deck cost?
- 6 How many footings do I need for a 12×16 deck?
- 7 Can pressure-treated wood touch the ground?
- 8 How high should a deck be off the ground?
- 9 Can I use 2×6 for deck joists?
- 10 How do I build a deck from Home Depot?
- 11 What do I need to build a floating deck?
- 12 Is it cheaper to build your own deck?
- 13 Does a deck add value to a house?
- 14 How much does a 10×20 deck cost?
What is the cheapest way to build a deck?
Treated wood is going to cost extra money but you can also use untreated wood and save some money. Instead, you can use sealants and other cheap materials to prevent any rot or decay. You also have the option of making your own sealants at home using pigments, mineral spirits or linseed oil among other things.
Can I build a deck directly on the ground?
Floating decks can be set directly on the ground or, preferably, a bed of gravel. But it’s best to support the deck on concrete blocks. This keeps the wood off the ground and away from moisture so the wood stays drier and lasts longer.
How much does it cost to build a platform deck?
Platform Deck Cost
They can be made of any decking material but are most often built of wood or composites. They cost around $10 to $30 a square foot to build, depending on the material.
How much does a 12×12 deck cost?
Composite Decking Costs at a Glance
|National Average Cost||$8,064|
|Average Range||$6,611 to $8,901|
How much does a 14×20 deck cost?
Cost To Build A Deck By Size
|Deck Size||Square Feet||Average Cost|
|12×20||240||$3,600 – $8,400|
|14×20||280||$4,200 – $9,800|
|16×16||256||$3,840 – $8,960|
|20×20||400||$6,000 – $14,000|
How many footings do I need for a 12×16 deck?
A standard deck will need four footings parallel to the house, but they will need to be temporarily braced by 6 inch-by-6 inch posts. Using doubled boards, you will then need to build beams on the top row of the posts to frame the edges of the deck. These must be topped with adjustable post caps.
Can pressure-treated wood touch the ground?
Ground-contact pressure–treated lumber can be used either above ground or in contact with the ground. Has twice the level of chemical retention and protection compared to above-ground treated wood.
How high should a deck be off the ground?
There is no standard height for a “grade-level” deck—the maximum measurement from grade to the deck surface could be 6 inches, 12 inches, 24 inches, or more. But generally speaking, I apply the term to decks that are up to 30 inches above grade, since guardrails are required for any decks that are higher than that.
Can I use 2×6 for deck joists?
2×6 joists should only be used on ground-level decks that do not require, and will not provide for, any guards. Most decks use 16″ on center spacing for joists. Most decking is not strong enough to support longer spans than 16″.
How do I build a deck from Home Depot?
ready mix concrete
- Step 1: Considerations and Planning Your Deck “
- Step 2: Dig Holes for Posts “
- Step 3: Pour Concrete and Place Post Anchors “
- Step 4: Attach Posts or Beams to Post Base “
- Step 5: Attach Rim Joists and Angle Brackets “
- Step 6: Attach Inner Joists to Beam Faces “
What do I need to build a floating deck?
- 2-in x 6-in Pressure-Treated Lumber (Actual: 1-1/2-in x 5-1/2-in)
- 2-in x 8-in Pressure Treated Lumber Rated for Ground Contact (Actual: 1-1/2-in x 7-1/4-in)
- Concrete Deck Blocks.
- Concrete Cap Blocks.
- Paver Base.
- Joist Hangers.
- Double Joist Hangers.
- Corner Brackets/Framing Angles.
Is it cheaper to build your own deck?
According to Remodeling magazine’s 2020 cost vs. value report, on average, a homeowner can recoup around 67% of the cost of a composite deck or almost 72% of the cost of a wood deck. Because home buyers are willing to pay top dollar to own a deck.
Does a deck add value to a house?
value report that, on average, homeowners spend just under $11,000 to add new wooden decks, but only see the resale value of their homes increase by $9,000, which is about 82% in recouped costs. Though, if a home already has a wooden deck, choosing to repair or refinish the deck is a smart investment.
How much does a 10×20 deck cost?
Deck Size Cost Estimator
|Dimensions (Square Footage)||Total Square Feet||Average Price Range|
|10×20 (200)||200||$8,000 – $12,000|
|12×20 (240)||240||$9,600 – $14,400|
|16×16 (256)||256||$10,240 – $15,360|
|14×20 (280)||280||$11,200 – $16,800|